The Congo Basin Institute and the Ministry of Forestry and Wildlife (MINFOF) manage a weather station at Bouamir (coordinates: 3°11’26″N 12°48’43E). The station is composed of manual and automatic parts. As of March 2020 the station is still running and data will be updated periodically.
Citation: Deblauwe, V., Kamta, R., Lebreton, M., & Smith, T. B. (n.d.). Bouamir Camp Automatic Weather Station. The Congo Basin Institute (CBI). https://doi.org/10.25502/E3QE-XN38/D
1) Temperature and rainfall manually recorded daily since 24/10/2017.
- Rainfall (mm) measured with Tru-Chek® Direct-Reading Rain Gauge. The gauge is graduated from 0.1 mm to 150 mm. The uppermost part/opening of the rain gauge is located 2 meters above ground level.
- Minimum and maximum temperature of the last 24h are recorded with Forestry Suppliers Digital Max/Min Thermometer. Measurement Range: -40°C to 50°C. Accuracy: ±1°C. The temperature sensor is located 1.5 meters above ground level.
2) A DAVIS Vantage Pro2 Plus automatic station records the following parameters every 30 minutes from 19/10/2019 5am and every 15 minutes from 11/12/2019 1pm. The wind speed and direction sensors are located about 2.5 m above ground level. All other sensors are located about 2 meters above ground level.
- Rainfall (±3% of total or ± one tip of the bucket (0.01″/0.2mm), whichever is greater)
- Temperature (±0.5°F or ±0.3°C; Radiation Induced Error: +4°F or 2°C at solar noon (insolation = 1040 W/m2, avg. wind speed <= 1 ms)).
- Humidity (±2%)
- Wind speed (±2 mph (2 kts, 3.2 km/h, 0.9 m/s) or ±5%, whichever is greater)
- Wind direction (±3°)
- Atmospheric pressure (±0.03″ Hg or ±0.8 mm Hg or ±1.0 hPa/mb)
- Ultra Violet (UV) Radiation Dose (±5% of daily total, drift up to ±2% per year)
- Ultra Violet (UV) Radiation Index (±5% of full scale)
- Visible light Solar Radiation (±5% of full scale, drift up to ±2% per year)
Full specifications of the sensors are available here.
We also provide the following derived variables:
- Heat Index (±2°F or ±1°C)
- Dewpoint (±2°F or ±1°C)
- THSW Index (Temperature-Humidity-Sun-Wind) (±4°F or±2°C)
- THW Index (Temperature-Humidity-Wind)
- Barometric Pressure ( ±0.03″ Hg or ±0.8 mm Hg or ±1.0 hPa/mb)
- Rain rate (±5% for rain rates)
- ET (Evapotranspiration) (Greater of 0.01″ (0.25 mm) or ±5%)
- Wind Chill (2°F or ±1°C)
Description of these variables can be found here.